A well women exam consists of a breast examination, pelvic examination, and a Pap smear test. The purpose of the exam is conducted as a preventive measure to analyze whether women have any gynecological or breast diseases. In this blog, we talk about what you should expect during your well woman exam.
A good women exam starts with a discussion with your doctor. You can discuss any medical condition or issues that you may have. You can also discuss family planning and your reproductive goals. After consulting with your doctor, they might ask you some questions about your medical history, and then your physical exam is conducted.
A well-women exam can include one or more of the following:
1. Routine checkup – If you haven't visited your doctor in a while, the routine checkup is done to take your vital signs such as your weight, blood pressure, heart rate, body mass index, etc.
2. Pelvic Examination - A pelvic examination is conducted to check whether your uterus, cervix, ovaries, and bladder are healthy. Doctors recommend getting a pelvic exam once a year.
3. Breast Examination – A breast examination is conducted as a preventive measure. It is a brief exam in which the doctors check the breast tissue to feel for any lumps or skin changes as these can be signs of breast cancer. It usually takes less than 5 minutes to perform a breast examination.
4. Pap Smear Test – Pap smear test is a pelvic area checkup that detects signs of cervical cancer. This test involves swabbing the cervix and then looking at the cervical cells for abnormalities.
Also read: What Are the Causes of UTIs?
It will take about 15-20 minutes to discuss your medical history and issues. The well-women exam will take another few minutes. It is a quick exam, and your entire visit might take 30-40 minutes in total.
The following tips can help you prepare for the exam:
1. Schedule your exam appointment when you are not on your period.
2. Write down all your questions so that you don’t miss any of your concerns.
3. Wear an easily removable outfit to save time.
4. Take a person you are comfortable with. 5. Be prepared for any other medical tests if needed.
Now that you know what a well woman exam is, schedule a well-women checkup appointment with Newnan Family Medicine. Our team of primary care providers can answer any questions related to women’s health and provide referrals for more complex cases. Your health is a priority to us!
At Newnan Family Medicine, our team consists of trained primary care who are always ready to provide the best care to you. Request an appointment or contact us for more information about our services. Our team is always ready to help!